Monday, January 12, 2009

The first out of a few...

I just got a rather large package in the mail this weekend.  I will start putting them all up now.




Preface



Saturday, November 1, 2008



Not long after I had written the opening scene of what would become Lincoln’s Daughter I began casting about for what to include in the wide frame of a story still under construction. Two new books had come into my possession—I say that as if they had a life of their own, but, no, I bought these two books deliberately. One, The Complete Works of John Wilkes Booth, a collection of letters, a speech or two, the draft of a book. Such a strange title, as though he were more writer than actor. The second, A Sister’s Memoir, a book which had been bowdlerized in the 1930s and came years later had been published by a southern state university press, by Asia Booth Clarke, the sister of John Wilkes Booth. It’s an affectionate book by the loving sister, living in England. It has a awkward history: kept secret from her husband, the leading comic actor of his day on the London stage, a man who did not want to hear the name of his infamous brother-in-law mentioned in his home; a book secretly left in the possession of Asia Clarke’s daughter, and passed down to a friend of the family.

I found myself reading about the Booth family, a family at least as great in theatrical history as the Barrymores. Reading is a dangerous activity for a writer. What you read can rub off on what you’re writing. Which is what happened. I would weave in the story of the assassin, or would-be assassin of Abraham Lincoln into my story. I wrote several scenes which might pique the interest of the reader, who would ask, I wonder what this is doing here—how will it fit into the story of Sarah, Joan, Will and the others?

I also was reading a massive biography of Walt Whitman, and that worked its way in too. Perhaps he might become his own character as the story progressed. Like a blind man, I was feeling my way along. But, as will happen when the Muses are on your side of the playing field, I forgot about my Mary Ann Holmes Booth chapters and rattled on to the end—I think I hear a Model-T Tin Lizzie lodged in my metaphor.

Suddenly, I was near the end of my story. I looked over the chapters I had written and spotted the several chapters, not from the 1960s or the 1830s but the 1860s. I could cut them, the Alexander-the-Great solution to the Gordien Knot. I was reluctant to perform such surgery. Instead I wrote the scene right at the end, where Will goes into the old schoolhouse. I confess I love that scene: Will wondering what John Wilkes Booth’s mother is doing here in 1834, and knowing she was there and not a phantasm. Mary Ann Holmes Booth thinking she must be dreaming; and so, sturdy woman that she is, she walks out of the scene and back to her bedroom in New York City. I can still see her determined strides carrying her eastward. In the scene that follows, from Will’s point of view, the question comes up about the woman they saw with Will.

No comments: